Tuesday, 28 December 2010

pushing the envelope

Compared to last year, this Christmas sees a number of changes for me, both professional and personal, which necessitate me to "push the envelope".

At the moment at work we are being asked to provide better for less; better services and efficiency improvements whilst still delivering over 20% spending cuts. This makes us go to the limits of what is technologically and physically possible - pushing the envelope.

Technologically we are getting the most out of what we have and sharing services where appropriate, which is a slight departure from what I was doing at my previous job last year before the cuts, where we were delivering service improvements and business change but not always sharing services.

My job as a Technology in Business Fast Streamer is pushing the envelope for me physically. This Christmas I need to do coursework, revise for an exam, write an essay, and read technical material. The coursework is for the Postgraduate Certificate in I.T. Professional Practice through the Open University that is part of professional development at work. The exam is for PRINCE2 Practictioner certification that is also part of professional development at work. The essay and reading material are for projects that I'm involved with professionally. Fitting it all in will be a physical challenge for me, which is totally different compared to last year when I had a clear break from thinking about work.

So, dear Reader, how am I pushing the limits of what is technologically and physically possible in my personal lifestyle, I hear you ask? Well, last year I had a 25 minute walk to work in the morning. Now I am getting used to a two and a half hour commute, door-to-door, each way every weekday.

This is pushing the limit of what is physically possible for me. I am torn between working in London and living in my beachfront appartment. So, dear Reader, alas I must move to the Big Smoke because I would like to spend more time with friends and less time in a relationship with British Rail.

What is the technological limit for me personally? My PC at home is 8 years old and showing signs of strain as the minimum requirement of modern technology (not even the latest, state-of-the-art technology) passes beyond the capabilities of my ShuttlePC still running XP.

Meanwhile my mobile phone is over two years old. There have been a number of significant improvements to phone technology over that time. Where the need for always-on Internet connection in your contract and 3G connectivity was rare, it is now a commonplace necessity. Hand in hand with unlimited mobile Internet, social networking now also pervades mobile devices.

For one reason and another I have not upgraded my handset. I am still using a Sony Ericsson w960 with a Symbian UIQ3 operating system. All mobile operating systems (Apple, Android, Palm, and the latest Symbian operating system) all have App stores. There are some apps for UIQ but unfortunately the latest apps are not being developed on that platform.

This means that my mobile handset is showing the signs of strain as I push it to its technological limit before it crashes; run a Blogger client, download emails, surf the web, upload photos onto Flickr and Tumblr, check Facebook and Twitter to keep up with friends and colleagues.

To push the envelope I had two solutions in mind; to upgrade to a Sony Ericsson Xperia x10 Mini Pro android mobile handset (250 pounds), or to splash out on a Sony Vaio z13 in carbon fibre (2500 pounds). However, it seems my brother and father may have found a middle option... StorageOption Scroll. Expect a review coming very soon...
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: